This almost feels a bit like the endgame on mock the week, when ‘unlikely things you’ll see…or hear’ is the opening strapping for which then the comedians are then tasked with completing. Today I was chatting to a few youthworkers about a youth work project that had a very similar name to another, and had used a bible verse number as their name. You know the one. It’s the life to the full one. (10:10). It got me thinking, if 3:16, 10:10 are commonly used, and there are some other common things in Christian youthwork.
What might be things unlikely to see or hear in Christian youthwork?
1. A project that has the name ’23:20′ after the profound words of Ezekiel.
2. A large worship gathering admit that financial reasons, and the need for advance funding, or internal poor partnership working was the reason for its demise. Far easier to say that ‘ the Lord is calling us to something new’
3. An all female worship band.
4. A Christian youthworker stay long enough in a church based role to be eligible for a sabbatical. And then to get one.
5. A youth pastor not use an analogy from Star wars/Lord of the rings or a U2 lyric in a youth service.
6. Young people involved in creating their own youth provision. Especially any collective worship space that’s apparently for them.
7. A job application for a youth worker that asks for a quiet, reflective, critical theological youth worker.
8. A youth work not have expectations that the Sunday school will be as full is was in 1890, after they’ve been in post 4 weeks.
9. A youth worker without 9 different coffee shop loyalty cards in their purse or wallet.
10. A commissioning service for the arrival of a new youth worker in post.
Here are 10 of my ‘unlikely to see’ in Christian youthwork, what might yours be?